Advertisement

General News

24 April, 2026

Funding fix for killer crossroad

A notorious intersection that claimed three lives in November will be upgraded with funding from the Federal Government. The government is delivering over $4.5 million in funding for safety upgrades across the Wannon electorate under the 2026-27 Black Spot Program. It includes $856,800 to upgrade the intersection of Eurambeen-Streatham Road and Mt William Road at Stoneleigh to install a staggered T-intersection and other supporting treatments.

By Craig Wilson

Pyrenees Shire Councillor Tanya Kehoe, Pyrenees Deputy Mayor Rebecca Wardlaw, Member for Ripon Martha Haylett and Ararat Mayor Bob Sanders met at the intersection on Thursday to discuss its future upgrade.
Pyrenees Shire Councillor Tanya Kehoe, Pyrenees Deputy Mayor Rebecca Wardlaw, Member for Ripon Martha Haylett and Ararat Mayor Bob Sanders met at the intersection on Thursday to discuss its future upgrade.

The intersection, which sits on the border of Pyrenees Shire and Ararat Rural City, claimed the lives of three members of a Geelong family on November 11.

Their car collided with a B-double truck killing a 41-year-old man, a 31-year-old woman and a three-year-old boy.

The project was recommended by the Victoria Black Spot Consultative Panel, comprising of local stakeholders to ensure nominations of the highest priority and importance to the local community are recommended for approval.

Federal Labor Senator for Victoria, Raff Ciccone, said the government is funding four projects in Wannon which will make a significant improvement to road safety.

“These four projects will deliver a range of practical upgrades, including safer intersections, improved road surfaces and measures to protect both drivers and pedestrians,” he said.

“Federal Labor will continue to work with the state and local governments to deliver even more critical road safety upgrades in the future.”

Pyrenees Deputy Mayor Rebecca Wardlaw welcomed the upgrade.

“The planned upgrade will hopefully ensure another tragedy doesn’t  occur at this intersection,” she said.

“Council welcomes the Federal Government’s quick response.”

Ararat Mayor Bob Sanders said the intersection carries a large volume of traffic and safety must be a priority.

Advertisement

“Our local farming communities regularly travel through here and keeping them and other motorists safe must be a priority.

“I’m really pleased the government has listened and acted,” he said.

Member for Ripon Martha Haylett said she has been lobbying for the intersection to be upgraded since last year’s accident.

“The recent deaths at this intersection shook our whole community. I am so glad to see action to fix it once and for all.

“No lives should ever be lost on our roads. This upgrade will make the area safer for local drivers and tourists into the future,” Ms Haylett said.

 Minister for Regional Development Kristy McBain said the Black Spot Program delivers low-cost improvements that have demonstrated effectiveness in reducing the risk of serious crashes and fatalities.

“This latest round of funding will make Victorian roads safer by enabling safety upgrades at dangerous locations.

“With our increased funding commitment to this long-running program, I encourage individuals, organisations and local governments to nominate sites in their local communities at any time for consideration in the next funding round,” she said.

        

Read More: Ararat, Beaufort

Advertisement

Latest Articles

Advertisement

Most Popular

Advertisement